For the week of June 18 – June 22, 2018
On Friday, June 15 at the CCE graduation celebration, Brooklyn Scholz received the CE Outstanding Student of the Year Award, Naomi Salgado received the CEM Outstanding Student of the Year Award, and Chuma Nnaji was named the Outstanding Graduate Student Award recipient.
New tsunami simulation identifies Seaside’s bridges, roads with highest mortality rates (The Daily Astorian), featuring Dan Cox, professor of coastal and ocean engineering and Haizhong Wang, assistant professor of transportation engineering.
Walk-in advising is available Monday – Friday, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
First-year students, contact Michelle White.
Questions? Contact the CCE Advising Team.
Summer section of H385 Safety and Health Standards and Law (one of the non-engineering required courses for the undergraduate CEM degree).
4-week summer class taught by Jason Fick, Assistant Professor and Coordinator of Music Technology, MUS 102: History of Electronic Music, offered Session 2 (June 25-July 20) and Session 4 (July 23-Aug 17).
If you plan to graduate in the summer or fall, now is the time to submit your graduation application. Graduation is not automatic. Students must submit a graduation application to notify the Registrar’s Office of the intended term of degree completion. Learn more.
Please be advised of the deadlines for completing your final degree requirements. For those with an upcoming event (PhD Program Meeting, PhD Qualifying Exam, PhD Oral Preliminary Exam, MEng/MS/PhD Final Exam) please remember to:
- Reserve your room with the event schedule form.
- Schedule your event with the Graduate School at least 2 weeks before the event date with the exam schedule form.
Opportunities, Scholarships, and Conferences
UAS in Transportation Expo, July 30-31, 2018, Kearney Hall. Sponsor: Pacific Northwest Transportation Consortium (PacTrans). The expo will explore UAS applications in transportation, how to initiate and manage a UAS program within transportation agencies and organizations, demo flights, computer lab time, and relevant discussions and networking. Learn more and register.
Friday, Sept. 21 – Sunday, Sept. 23, 2018: McKinsey Global Connect. Join McKinsey in Washington, DC to learn how they work and solve problems in fast-growing economies. During this one-of-a-kind weekend you will learn how McKinsey works with the private, public, and social sectors in Asia, Africa, Central Europe, Latin America and the Middle East. To be eligible, you must be studying for a JD, Master’s, MBA, or PhD degree in North America; filling a postdoctoral post in North America; pursuing a medical degree, internship, or residency in North America; or working as a professional in North America with at least two years of work experience. In addition, you should either be a native of a fast-growing economy or have a passion for or prior knowledge about one of these economies. Learn more and apply. Application deadline: June 15, 2018.
First South Asia Conference on Earthquake Engineering (SACEE), February 21-22, 2019, Karachi, Pakistan. SACEE has been constituted under the auspices of SHAKE. This is the first SACEE which is being held in Pakistan. The event will be held after every two years and the venue will be rotated among the member states of SHAKE. Learn more.
#WeBuildOregon Instagram Contest. The AGC Workforce Professional Develop Committee launched a youth outreach media campaign utilizing the most used social media platform of GenZ+ (ages 14–24) on Instagram. The contest seesk authentic photos of construction professionals on worksites. To participate, follow build_oregon on Instagram, and post a photo of a builder on a job site to Instagram with the hashtag #webuildoregon. Vote for your photo at webuildoregon.com. A winner will be chosen weekly based on the number of votes and will receive a $50 Carhartt gift certificate.
- F.D. Thomas seeks to hire interns for their Central Point and Roseburg, Oregon offices. To apply, email a completed application to Terra Wells.
- The USDA seeks to hire an intern for their Portland, Oregon office. The successful candidate may assist the State Engineer/Environmental Coordinator and State Architect. The USDA Rural Development Pathways Student Trainee is a great place to start or continue your career. USDA is ranked as one of the top 10 "Best Places to Work in the Federal Government" by the Partnership for Public Service. Rankings are based on employee feedback regarding satisfaction with their work experience. Learn more and apply.
- Aspen Heights seeks to fill three project engineer positions. Learn more and apply.
- Columbia County (St. Helens, Oregon) seeks to hire an engineering tech. Learn more and apply. Email HRJobs@co.columbia.or.us.
- Fore Construction seeks to hire a project engineer for a Portland area project. The position will report to the Vancouver, Washington office. To apply, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ODOT seeks to hire a geotechnical design engineer to join their Roseburg, Oregon team. Learn more and apply.
- The Hydrology, Hydraulics and Coastal Engineering Branch of the Seattle District Corps of Engineers announces a vacancy for a hydraulic engineer at the GS 11 or GS 12 level. This position will work on the extensive hydraulic, and hydrologic studies for reservoir operation that support fast-paced Columbia River System EIS and Columbia River Treaty negotiations. This a term/temporary position, not to exceed 4 years, and is convertible to permanent status without competition at the end of the term. U.S. Citizenship is required. The announcement is open from 06/13/2018 and will close on 06/27/2018. Learn more and apply.
- Facility Asset Management at Walt Disney World seeks to hire a construction project planner. Learn more and apply. Reference Job Requisition Number: 543873BR. For more information, contact OSU Alumnus and Walt Disney World Facility Planner, Kevin Coffey.
Items for the CCE Newsletter may be submitted by email to email@example.com by Friday at 4 p.m. for inclusion in the following Monday's issue.
View recent job openings and tips to succeed at CCE.
Stay connected: Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.