Broadcasting from the College of Engineering…
Radio KOAC started as a lab experiment by an electrical engineering professor in 1922. At first the call letters were KFDJ, but these were changed to KOAC (as in Oregon Agricultural College) in 1925. (The station is now part of Oregon Public Broadcasting, AM 550. ) Next, from the studio in Room 212—KFDJ's 's first band concert-- a combination of jazz, popular music, opera, fantasy, all broadcast through a telephone mic.
The posts in the classroom--necessitated due to the addition of the third floor--were to be an annoyance to generations of students until the early 1980s, when Professor John Peterson undertook the task of removing them (see Apperson 212).